Michelle Obama and Kermit the Frog hosted a special screening of the new Disney Muppets movie for military families. About 200 people attended the event at the White House.

Michelle Obama and Kermit the Frog hosted a special screening of the new Disney Muppets movie for military families. About 200 people attended the event at the White House. (Sara Olstad/Medill)

WASHINGTON – First lady Michelle Obama might be nicer than Miss Piggy, at least according to Kermit the Frog.

One of the reasons Kermit thinks Obama is so nice is her support for the nation’s military families, the Muppet said.

Obama, Kermit and Gen. Martin Dempsey, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, came together Wednesday at the White House to thank the nation’s military families. The first lady hosted about 200 kids and their parents at an advance screening of Disney’s new “Muppets Most Wanted” movie.

Obama acknowledged the struggles that kids in military families go through that most children don’t face. She said they are all “heroes.”

“I get to travel all around the country, and I meet a lot of kids. Let me tell you I am most impressed by our military kids because I know you guys have a lot on your plates. When your parents are deployed, you guys have to be big boys and girls. You have to get your homework done. You have to help your brothers and sisters. You have to behave,” Obama said.

Kermit said he thinks it would be difficult for kids to have to relocate regularly and make new friends every few years because their parents are in the military.

“It’s true that I am here because of all you kids. I always say ‘it’s not easy being green’ and sometimes it’s not easy for you guys, for your moms and dads who wear a green uniform or a blue one or a white one. But you guys have to be just as tough as them and we understand what that means,” he said.

As first lady, Obama has regularly offered support to the nation’s military families. Dempsey praised her for her efforts.

He said she “has spent her time in office with her husband making sure that we can take care of you.”

He also thanked Kermit, “the senior Muppet,” for attending the event and presented him with a challenge coin.